Why did Trump stop latest strikes on Iran hours before launch?

US President Donald Trump has delayed resuming plans for military strikes on Iran following pressure from Gulf allies and ongoing diplomatic efforts. This came despite him saying that US forces were “fully prepared to launch the operation”.Speaking at the White House on Tuesday, Trump said he had decided to give Tehran “limited time” to reach an acceptable deal before authorizing further attacks. “I’m saying two or three days, maybe Friday, Saturday, Sunday, something, maybe early next week,” CNN quoted Trump as saying.The decision marks the latest reversal in Trump’s approach toward Iran, after he suggested he was close to approving new military action. “They’re loaded to the brim,” Trump said of U.S. warships deployed to the region. “And we were all set to get started.”According to the report, the US military had already prepared a detailed plan for the renewed multi-phase air campaign against Iran, including identified targets and operational phases. Trump reviewed military options with Vice President J.D. Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, CIA Director John Ratcliffe and special envoy Steve Witkoff at his golf club in Virginia after returning from China over the weekend.A person familiar with the discussions said Trump had considered striking additional Iranian targets after becoming frustrated with slow progress in talks, CNN reported.However, as the US came closer to military action, Gulf leaders intervened. Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates separately urged Washington to halt the strikes and allow more time through diplomatic channels.Gulf countries fear renewed conflict could provoke Iranian retaliation against critical energy infrastructure and further destabilize the region. Some countries also warned that they could impose tighter restrictions on access to US military bases and airspace if attacks resumed.Trump acknowledged that concerns remain over Iranian retaliation. “They still have some capacity,” he said of Iran’s military capabilities. “Not much, but they have a little.”Saudi Arabia briefly restricted access to US bases and airspace during a prior operation involving the Strait of Hormuz before lifting the ban after Trump suspended the mission.The Gulf countries also pointed to the ongoing Pakistan-led mediation efforts and the importance of the Hajj season as reasons to avoid tensions. A regional official said Gulf leaders presented a “united front” in their appeal for restraint.Trump said those calls ultimately influenced his decision. “I had made the decision. So they called, they heard I had made the decision, and they said, ‘Sir, can you give us a few more days? Because we think they’re fair,'” he said.Despite the temporary pause, military plans remain active. Commanders could launch operations at short notice, and the name of the campaign could be changed from “Operation Epic Fury” to “Operation Sledgehammer”. The proposed name change may also have legal implications. Resuming operations under the new name could potentially reset the 60-day clock under the War Powers Act, which controls congressional approval for military action.Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth previously said the ceasefire declared in April effectively halted that deadline. He said, “With the ceasefire, the clock stops. If it is restarted, it will be the President’s decision.” “That option is always there, and Iran knows it.”While Trump has repeatedly insisted that diplomacy is possible, there has been little public sign that Tehran has softened its position on key disputes, including uranium enrichment and maintaining its stockpile of near-weapons-grade uranium.Vice President J.D. Vance acknowledged that negotiations remain uncertain. “You interact with people, and sometimes you feel like you’re making progress and sometimes you feel like you’re not making progress,” he said. “I think the Iranians want to make a deal.”

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Zeen Subscribe
A customizable subscription slide-in box to promote your newsletter
[mc4wp_form id="314"]
Exit mobile version