Amid rising tensions between Washington and Havana, the American aircraft carrier USS Nimitz and its strike group have entered the Caribbean Sea.The deployment comes at a time when US President Donald Trump has escalated his rhetoric against Cuba and hinted at possible action against the island nation.The carrier strike group includes the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Nimitz, Carrier Air Wing 17 equipped with F/A-18E Super Hornets, EA-18G Growlers and C-2A Greyhounds, as well as the destroyer USS Gridley and the replenishment oiler USNS Patuxent.US Southern Command (SOUTHCOM), which oversees US military operations in the Caribbean and Latin America, confirmed the deployment on Wednesday.In a post on X, SOUTHCOM said, “USS Nimitz has proven its combat capability around the world, ensuring stability and protecting democracy from the Taiwan Strait to the Arabian Gulf.”
Trump’s comment after this indictment of raul castro
The deployment comes soon after the US Justice Department formally charged former Cuban President Raul Castro in the 1996 downing of two civilian airliners operated by the exiled group Brothers to the Rescue.Trump said the administration has Cuba “on our minds” following the indictment. “This is very important,” he said, adding that it was “a huge moment” for Cuban Americans and people seeking to reunite with families in Cuba.The indictment accuses Castro of ordering the downing of two unarmed civilian airliners over international waters in 1996, killing four people. Charges include murder and destroying an aircraft.“For nearly 30 years, the families of four murdered Americans have waited for justice,” Acting U.S. Attorney General Todd Blanch said in Miami.
America’s pressure on Cuba increased
The Trump administration has steadily increased pressure on Havana in recent months through sanctions, diplomatic pressure and warnings of possible action.US authorities recently captured former Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, further raising concerns in Cuba.CIA Director John Ratcliffe met with Cuban officials in Havana last week and warned that the window for negotiations “will not remain open indefinitely.”U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio, who is Cuban-American, also issued a Spanish-language message supporting the U.S. fuel blockade of Cuba, while blaming the communist government for repeated blackouts and economic hardship.
Cuba is facing deep economic crisis
Cuba is facing serious economic problems such as fuel shortages, food shortages and widespread blackouts. However, Trump attempted to downplay fears of a direct military escalation.“There will be no escalation. I don’t think it’s needed. Look, the place is falling apart. It’s a mess and they’ve kind of lost control,” Trump said.USS Nimitz, commissioned in 1975, recently participated in joint naval exercises with the Brazilian Navy in Rio de Janeiro before entering the Caribbean region.