More than 300 military drones and Iran relations: Did Cuba plan an attack on a US naval base?

The Trump administration is viewing Cuba as a potential security threat after classified intelligence revealed Havana has acquired more than 300 military drones and discussed possible drone war scenarios involving US targets, according to a report by Axios.The report, citing classified intelligence and senior US officials, said Cuban officials had recently discussed plans that could include attacks on the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, US military ships and even the US naval base at Key West in Florida in the event of an escalation of hostilities.A senior US official quoted by Axios said Washington was concerned about the United States “getting too close to those types of technologies”, particularly amid the reported presence of Iranian military advisers in Havana and Cuba’s growing defense ties with Russia and Iran.“When we think about the types of technologies that are so close, and there are so many bad actors out there, from terrorist groups to drug cartels to Iranians to Russians, it’s worrisome,” the official said.“This is a growing threat.”

CIA chief visits Cuba amid increasing pressure

CIA Director John Ratcliffe traveled to Cuba on Thursday and warned Cuban officials against getting involved in hostilities.He also urged Havana to abandon its “totalitarian government” in order to end US sanctions.A CIA official quoted by Axios said Ratcliffe had made clear that “Cuba can no longer serve as a platform for adversaries to pursue a hostile agenda in our hemisphere”.“The Western Hemisphere cannot be a playground for our adversaries,” the official said.The US Justice Department plans to drop the indictment against former Cuban leader Raul Castro in the 1996 downing of two planes operated by the Miami-based aid group Brothers to the Rescue.According to Reuters, US officials had previously hinted at plans to indict Castro, a move that would sharply escalate tensions between Washington and Havana.

Cuba rejected the allegations

Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodríguez Parrilla accused the US of fabricating a “fraudulent case” to justify sanctions and possible military intervention.“Cuba neither threatens war nor desires war,” Rodriguez said in a social media post. He said the country prepared itself to face external aggression under “the right of legitimate self-defense recognized by the United Nations Charter.”The Cuban Embassy also issued a statement on X saying that the island has the right to defend itself against external aggression. However, he did not directly deny having attack drones.

Fears of drone war and Russia relations

Cuba has been acquiring attack drones from Russia and Iran since 2023 and storing them in strategic locations across the island. The report also alleged that Cuban officials were studying Iran’s strategies in resisting US pressure.The concerns come amid increased focus on drone warfare following Iran’s use of drones during recent tensions with the US and Israel in the Middle East.

Axios further reported that US officials believe thousands of Cuban soldiers have fought alongside Russian forces in Ukraine, some of whom have brought back knowledge about the effectiveness of drone warfare.Despite concerns, US officials said they do not believe Cuba poses an imminent military threat equivalent to the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis.“No one is worried about Cuban fighters,” said a senior official, but added that the island’s proximity to the United States remains a major concern.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Zeen Subscribe
A customizable subscription slide-in box to promote your newsletter
[mc4wp_form id="314"]
Exit mobile version