Iranian lawmakers are discussing legislation that would offer large financial rewards for the assassinations of US President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, escalating tensions in Iran after the February attacks that killed Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.According to the Telegraph UK, Ebrahim Azizi, chairman of Iran’s National Security Commission, said lawmakers were preparing a bill titled “Reciprocating action by the military and security forces of the Islamic Republic”, which would formalize a €50 million reward for anyone who kills Trump.Azizi said Iran holds Trump, Netanyahu and US Central Command Admiral Brad Cooper responsible for the February 28 attack that killed Khamenei and must face “confrontation and reciprocal action”.Mahmoud Nabavian, deputy chairman of the Iranian parliament’s national security committee, also said the parliament would soon vote on allocating a “significant reward” for the person who “sends gambler Trump and child-killer Netanyahu to hell,” the Jewish Chronicle reported.
Dangers increased after Iran conflict
The proposed law marks a sharp escalation of earlier threats and religious decrees issued by Iranian clerics and officials.The move would shift calls for assassination from propaganda campaigns and fatwas to formal parliamentary action.Nabavian warned that any future military action against Iran or its leadership would trigger retaliatory attacks not only against the US and Israel but also against regional Arab governments aligned with them.“Threats against the Supreme Leader and military commanders have again been heard from the dirty mouths of some enemy officers,” Nabavian wrote on X.
Previous threats and bounty campaigns
Calls for action against Trump have surfaced repeatedly in Iran in recent years, particularly after the assassination of Iranian commander Qassem Soleimani and more recently, Khamenei.Campaigns linked to pro-regime groups have reportedly raised millions of dollars for bounty efforts targeting Trump.A campaign called “Blood Covenant” reportedly raised over $27 million.Iran Wire reported that the hacking group “Handala” also claimed to have allocated $50 million for the “elimination” of Trump and Netanyahu.Earlier this year, Trump warned that if Iran attempted to make threats against him, the United States would “wipe them off the face of the earth”.
Iran says talks are still ongoing
Despite escalating threats, Iranian officials indicated that indirect talks with Washington were continuing.Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghai said peace talks through Pakistan are in progress, with several rounds of proposals exchanged between the two sides.According to Iranian media reports, US conditions include handing over enriched uranium reserves, limiting Iran’s nuclear infrastructure and maintaining a ceasefire tied to continued negotiations.Iran’s stated demands include lifting sanctions, releasing frozen assets, ending military operations across the region, and recognizing Iranian sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz.Iranian President Massoud Pezeshkian acknowledged serious damage to gas facilities, power plants and industrial infrastructure in the war, while former Revolutionary Guards commander Mohsen Rezaei warned that continuing the blockade would amount to “a continuation of the war”.Meanwhile, speculation of a possible return to hostilities has intensified after Netanyahu was allowed to skip his criminal trial to attend “all-day security meetings”, according to the Telegraph UK.