Sudipto Sen’s Charak faces censor hurdle, director ready to trim scenes
Filmmaker Sudipto Sen recently revealed that his latest production Charak has been refused certification by the Central Board of Film Certification. Sen expressed complete uncertainty about the reason for the board’s decision.

Filmmaker Sudipto Sen faces a new challenge with the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) in the form of his latest production. CharakAuthentication was refused. Sen, who had earlier faced issues with the board story of keralaThere is news that CBFC has refused to give approval Charak for release. The decision has left the director looking for answers, as he claims he has received no clarification from the board regarding the grounds for the refusal.
❮❯
According to Sen, no clear indication or rationale was given to the production team by the CBFC following its decision to deny certification to the upcoming film. The director said the film serves as a “de facto documentation” of occult practices allegedly prevalent within some Hindu cult groups, including depictions of human sacrifice and ritual cannibalism. while talking news18Sen expressed his disappointment and said, “I don’t really have a clear idea as to why the clearance was not given. I am even ready to sacrifice some cuts and some scenes for the film. But now the big question is looming over my film itself. At this juncture, I can only be optimistic. In our last meeting, I was told that the film would be evaluated sympathetically. We have presented documentary material, not fiction. However, the truth is always uncomfortable.”
He further said that the CBFC had suggested several cuts, especially in scenes showing cannibalism. However, he said the exact reasons for the denial were still unclear.
The director-producer stressed that the film does not aim to provoke any ideological debate, but rather aims to highlight illegal and superstitious practices.
Sudipto said, “If something illegal is happening in the name of faith, should cinema avert its eyes? My job is to bring the facts before the society. Even though I don’t know the reasons behind such resistance, ideological or otherwise, the first and foremost response to the film did not seem encouraging to me. However, after the teaser was released, I got an overwhelming response from my well-wishers.”
The Censor Board has not yet responded to these allegations by the filmmaker.
Presents official summary The film is a “grassroots social drama” It focuses on an ancient ritual in which faith is demonstrated through physical endurance. It traces the journey of the individuals who participate in the practice, each motivated by faith, hope or a search for meaning.
The cast includes Anjali Patil, Sahidur Rehman, Subrata Dutta, Shashi Bhushan, Nalneesh Neel, Shankhdeep and Shaunak Shyamal. His characters are situated within a tightly knit community grappling with the pressures of tradition, suspicion and collective expectations.
As of now, the film will be released in theaters on March 6.




