
Israel said on Thursday its spy chief would take part in Gaza ceasefire talks and Hamas vowed to stop fighting if a ceasefire is reached, as long-stalled efforts to end the war appear to be gaining momentum.
Previous attempts to stop the year-long war have failed, although the United States has expressed hope that the killing of Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar last week could serve as the beginning of a settlement.
A delegation of the group’s Doha-based leadership met with Egyptian officials in Cairo on Thursday to discuss “ideas and proposals” related to the Gaza ceasefire, a senior Hamas official told AFP.
“Hamas has expressed readiness to stop fighting, but Israel must commit to a ceasefire, withdraw from the Gaza Strip, allow the return of displaced people, agree to a serious prisoner exchange agreement and humanitarian aid in Gaza. Should be allowed to enter.” The officer said.
He said the talks in Cairo were part of Egypt’s ongoing efforts to restart ceasefire talks.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he welcomed Egypt’s readiness to reach an agreement “for the release of hostages” held by militants in Gaza.
After the Cairo meeting, Netanyahu instructed the head of Israel’s Mossad spy agency to leave for key mediator Qatar on Sunday to “advance a series of initiatives included on the agenda”, the prime minister’s office said.
Earlier on Thursday, the United States and Qatar said Gaza ceasefire talks would resume in the Qatari capital.
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken met Qatar’s leaders in Doha on Thursday, his 11th visit to the region since the Gaza war broke out following Hamas attacks on Israel on October 7, 2023.
– ‘Time is running out’ –
During the visit, which comes less than two weeks before the US elections, Blinken said mediators would explore new options.
He said they were looking for a plan “so that Israel can withdraw, so that Hamas cannot regroup, and so that the Palestinian people can rebuild their lives and rebuild their future”.
Qatar said US and Israeli teams would fly to Doha, with Prime Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim al-Thani saying Qatari mediators had “re-engaged” with Hamas since Sinwar’s death.
Israeli and US officials as well as some analysts said Sinwar was a significant obstacle to an agreement allowing the release of 97 hostages still held in Gaza, 34 of whom are dead according to the Israeli military.
An Israeli group representing the families of the hostages called on Netanyahu and Hamas to reach a deal to free the remaining captives.
The Hostages and Missing Families Forum said, “Time is running out.”
Blinken arrived in London late Thursday, where a US official said he would meet on Friday with the foreign ministers of Jordan and the United Arab Emirates, two key partners in the post-war plan for Gaza.
The official said Blinken will also meet with Lebanese Prime Minister Najib Mikati and discuss the parallel conflict in that country.
– Hundreds died in a single day –
On the battlefield, Israeli forces have maintained pressure on Hamas and earlier this month launched an operation north of Gaza, where thousands of civilians are trapped.
Gaza Civil Protection Agency spokesman Mahmoud Bassal said “more than 770 people have been killed” in the north of the territory in the 19 days since the operation began, adding that the death toll could rise as people remain buried under debris. Has happened.
He also said 17 people were killed Thursday in an attack on a school-shelter site in central Gaza, where the Israeli military said it was targeting Hamas militants.
Umm Muhammad, a Palestinian woman, told AFP that she was sitting in a classroom when the attack occurred.
“I hugged my little girl and I couldn’t see anything through the thick smoke,” he said.
“I ran and shouted for my sister and found her alive downstairs, but there were (some) children torn to pieces.”
The Civil Protection Agency said it could no longer provide first response services in northern Gaza, accusing Israeli forces of threatening to “bomb and kill” its staff.
The Israeli military says its strikes are aimed at destroying operational capabilities it says Hamas is trying to rebuild in the north.
The Gaza war began with a Hamas attack on Israel on October 7, 2023, resulting in the deaths of 1,206 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally of official Israeli figures.
Israel’s retaliatory strikes have killed 42,847 people in Gaza, most of them civilians, according to figures from the Hamas-run territory’s health ministry, data which the UN considers credible.
– Attacks, clashes in Lebanon –
After nearly a year of war in Gaza, Israel turned its attention to Lebanon a month ago, and vowed to secure its northern border against almost daily attacks by Hamas ally Hezbollah.
It launched a massive bombing campaign targeting mainly Hezbollah strongholds around Lebanon and sent ground forces on 30 September.
At least 1,580 people have been killed in the war in Lebanon since September 23, according to an AFP tabulation of Lebanese health ministry figures, although the actual toll is likely higher.
Three children were among 12 people killed in Israeli attacks on two villages in eastern Lebanon on Thursday, the ministry said.
Lebanese state media later said Israel struck the southern suburbs of Beirut, a Hezbollah stronghold, about half an hour after Israel issued an evacuation warning.
Israel said five of its soldiers were killed fighting in southern Lebanon, where there have been daily battles with Hezbollah militants since the ground offensive began.
Hezbollah said it attacked Israeli troops and positions in Israel’s north and also attacked troops inside Lebanese territory.
The war has created a major displacement crisis in Lebanon, which has already grappled with political and economic crisis for years.
A conference in Paris on Thursday secured $800 million in aid for cash-strapped Lebanon, according to the French government.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

